Rusty's Rival is the title of the second episode of the series. It was originally uploaded to the official Dorkly website on July 23, 2012.
The world's worst Pokemon trainer finally meets his match.
After departing from Beige Town, Rusty is found travelling along, dragging Pikachu on a leash. He decides to check Twitter and see how Red's journey is going. Red recently posted that he just defeated his rival, Blue. This inspires Rusty to find a rival of his own so he can become a better Pokémon trainer.
Rusty selects his rival by calling out to the person nearest to him, a bug catcher agrees to be Rusty's rival and they battle. The fight, however, is short lived as Rusty causes his rival's Rattata severe head trauma by throwing Pikachu at it. The Bug Trainer accuses him of cheating and flees the battle, declaring that they are no longer rivals. This does not phase Rusty, though.
Rusty turns to a random bystander to be his rival. In a panic, the bystander throws his wallet and flees. Rusty, satisfied with his work, commends himself and Pikachu. A Bidoof appears and he claims that it is a Shiny Bidoof. He tries to capture it, but accidentally captures himself in the Pokéball. He tells Pikachu to get help, but the Kakuna can do nothing but fall over.
- When Rusty uses his phone, 'panini' can clearly be seen listed under Pokémon, meaning that he is still carrying the chicken he was supposed to give to Professor Tree.
- Rusty has an icon on his phone that indicates that he has a poisoned Pokémon. However, it is never known what this Pokémon is and it is assumed that Rusty discards it since he does not learn abou Poké Centers until the episode Team Rocket (Episode).
- Progress of Rusty's Journey: 2 days
- Rusty's Pokemon Party: 2 out of 6 Pokemon
- Unknown Pokemon (fainted)
- Chicken Panini (in PokeBall)
- Pikachu (Out of Pokeball)
- This is the first episode that Rusty's Kakuna is referred to as 'Pikachu'
- This marks the first appearance of Rusty's Sweet Phone.
- It is revealed that Rusty has a Twitter account and follows Red on the social media site.